MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Another finish

There's only one problem with declaring myself finished with making Christmas gifts too soon.  I then cast about and look for more to make!  

Awhile ago I was the lucky winner of a bundle of 5" fabric squares from Annett of KnettyCraft. I thought quite seriously about making a quilt from them (but I suspect you all know how I feel about making sane quilts!!)...so....(with a vote of thanks to my friend MEK for the suggestion)....




This will be included in with another Christmas gift.  Thank you Annett!!

And, remember yesterday I told you about my steering clear of the kitchen whilst flour and raisins and 'goo' were being thrown about?  Well, here is the result...





Butter tarts by Jack.

Refrigerator cookies by MA.













And several little tins of these....








Would you like the recipe for how to make the candies?  SO simple.  SO good!!!

MEK's MOST EXCELLENT CANDIES

- A bunch of square pretzels (they look sort of like an 
oversized Shreddie cereal, probably available at your
local bulk food store)

- A package (or 6, depending on how many you
want to make...lol) of Rolo Candies 
(they come in rolls of 10 where you buy
chocolate bars)

- a bunch of half pecans (again, quantity 
depends on how many you want to make).

Preheat oven to 200.  Place pretzels onto
cookie sheet and top each with a Rolo candy.
Place in oven for about 2 mins (or until the 
tops turn shiny)
Remove from oven and immediately
press a pecan half on top.
Refrigerate til set.
(oh yeah - and taste test a few before refrigerating -
just to be sure they're fit for gift giving).

Go back to store and get more supplies
because you've already eaten them all
and don't have any left for giving.

(Thanks MEK for the recipe!)

Today your quote is from Dr. Seuss.... "It came without ribbons!  It came without tags!  It came without packages, boxes or bags!...Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!  "Maybe Christmas ," he thought, "doesn't come from a store.  Maybe Christmas....perhaps....means a little bit more!"




8 comments:

  1. Fun Charm Square Bag. WOW on the kitchen baking results. Those pretzel rolo pecan munchies are vey addicting...however they are weight friendly. Love the quote. Merry Christmas Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For one crazy moment I was trying to decide which I would rather have: a plate of butter tarts or a pretty patchwork bag. Then I realized how crazy I was being. I would rather have the tarts right NOW and the bag a little LATER.
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Grinch quote.. Thank you. My thought's entirely. Happy holidays.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Man!! That guy is a GEM!! You better keep him, cute and he cooks!! or bakes...no matter. Any guy that works in the kitchen is OK by me!! Thanks for that recipe. I have never seen it before and it's a great treat for the lunch box no matter the time of year.
    Merry Christmas Mary Anne. At the moment, I am grateful for your cyber friendship and visiting your blog.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy yum bet it smells really good at your house!
    Wishing you lots of HoHoHo's and Fa la laaaas this Christmastime.
    Here's to another fun year of sharing across the miles and airwaves.
    oxo
    p.s. thank you very much for your kind wishes on my Magpie's Nest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy sweets!!! My husband cooks but leaves all the baking to me.
    I, too, love the Grinch quote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeeha! Great results from the kitchen! Looks fab. Love the bag too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pretzel cookies look very appetising! And I love the charm bag!!
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.