MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, September 25, 2015

A continuation, and a start

I completed one more section for the fall pillow...

This is a fairly simple section - just a pumpkin button I found in my stash, with some silk ribbon and variegated pearl cotton lazy daisy stitches and some beads.


When I was doing my 'Looking Back' series a few weeks ago, I showed a picture of a fabric journal I did in an online class with Carole Brungar in 2010.  A few people (well, a 'few' was actually two!!) expressed an interest in seeing more of it.  So...a new series will begin.  If you have seen all this before, hopefully you've forgotten enough to want to see it again.

At the time I began working on this book, we were selling our home and moving into the apartment where we are now.  We had a lovely big garden and I wanted something to remember it by.  When we moved into the house the gardens were dismal.  Nothing had been done with them in many years so they were overgrown and very few flowers were there.  We had very little budget for plants, so asked our friends and family to think kindly of us when they were working in their gardens and any and all plants would be gratefully received.  Needless to say, they came through in spades and we ended up with a ton of beautiful flower beds and a large veggie garden too.   Before we moved I took a lot of pictures of the flowers and many of those photos appear in my journal.


(as always, you should be able to click and embiggen the pictures if you so desire).

 This is the cover and a semi-side view of the book.  I managed to be an over-achiever and made a book that was huge.


This is the inside cover of my book.  DH made the wooden sign that  says 'Welcome to Our Friendship Garden'.  He used some cast-off cedar fence rails.




Morning Glory and a peony.  I'm afraid I can't remember the exact name of the peony now.





Today the quote is from Tony Robbins..... "Achieving goals by themselves will never make us happy in the long term:  it's who you become, as you overcome the obstacles necessary to achieve your goals, that can give you the deepest sense and most  long-lasting sense of fulfillment"

6 comments:

  1. I like what you did with the button! I'm not the only one who works small sometimes (GRIN)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's a Fall pillow without the hint of a tiny pumpkin. It is very sweet. As for your 'fat' journal.....oh my it is amazing. It must give you great joy turning each beautiful page looking at all those 'pretty-filled' pages evoking special memories. It is a uniquely beautiful journal, Mary Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your book is gorgeous! And such a great idea to take the photos before moving and putting them in a handmade book. It's a beautiful treasure and full of memories now. Your autumnal piece is getting more beautiful every time. Wishing you a sweet weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool way to remember your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Embellishing looking good, I like your mixed media work, romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pumpkin button--/ ohhhhh love!!!!

    More beautiful pages from your book!!
    V.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.