MAGPIE'S MUMBLINGS

A blog about my interests, which include fabric landscapes and various and assorted other artsy pursuits and sometimes known to contain mumblings of a random nature.

Friday, April 05, 2013

Asking for help!!

I'm wrestling with a dilemma here and I need some input and hopefully some guidance towards what I'm looking for.  What better folk to ask than my loyal reader(s)???

Anyway....the issue is this.....I'm searching for embroidery stitch instructions.  Yes, I know....I have lots of books that have them BUT (and here's where I am running into a problem) I am unable to copy and use them because of copyright laws.  I have been asked to teach a workshop on embroidery in the near future and I really need to come up with a good, clearly illustrated handout to teach from.  There are plenty of places on the internet to downloud stitch instructions (some of them legal, and others not-so-much) but I want to be absolutely certain I'm not breaking any laws. 

I know there are great instructions from generous souls like Sharon B and Mary Corbett and I have no doubt they would willingly give their permission, however I want something that is concise (perhaps two or three pages of instruction at the most) and inclusive of the basic stitches.

Anybody have any suggestions??  Thanks in advance!


5 comments:

  1. i'm reasonably sure that any stitch diagram if it is just a black and white illustration without any curlicues, flourishes by the artist or posed backgrounds could be used--a stitch is a stitch, and there are only specific ways to do them and to illustrate them--if you are using someone's photo of a stitch though that might be a little iffy--and you can always add a copyright note in the form of the circled c if you are worried about it--are any of your students that likely to bitch????
    you're not selling the diagram after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. create your own!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Magpie! A suggestion: look up Therese Dillmont's embroidery books on antique pattern library (one of the encyclopedic ones) and compile some instructions from the images in there. The books are in the public domain. You can also use the Jacobean embroidery book on Guttenberg, or Mrs. Archibald Christie's Stitch Sampler, which is also available online, and compile instructions using those images. Just a thought!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Copyright free embroidery stitch book. Just download and take what you need.
    http://archive.org/details/embroiderystitch00wilkiala

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Arlee and you can use mine if they are good enough....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy life to talk to me. It's wonderful to know that someone is actually reading my mumblings and even more fun if I can connect with you and visit your blog.